Chicken Broccoli Cheese Soup
Who doesn't love Broccoli Cheese Soup? Add some protein and you've got dinner on the table! Or lunch that is.
Servings 4 people
- 1 Large Chicken Breast boneless, skinless
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 of a Yellow Onion chopped,
- 3 Cups Fresh Broccoli chopped
- 3 Cups Half and Half
- 2 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- 3 Cups Milk Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Cut the chicken breast into 1 inch cubes. Season lightly with salt and pepper. In a medium non-stick skillet add in the Olive Oil and turn the heat to medium. Add chicken. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. When finished remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large pot (I prefer to use a dutch oven) melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and let cook for a 3-4 minutes (until slightly translucent). Season lightly with salt and pepper. Add the broccoli and continue cooking for an additional 7-8 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Next, cut the cooled chicken into smaller, finer pieces. You can even shred the chicken if you prefer it that way. Once finished add the chicken to the pot with the onions and broccoli.
- With the heat still on low, slowly add the half and half and chicken stock to the large pot with the other ingredients. Stir to combine. Cover with lid and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In batches add in the cheddar cheese. Be sure to stir between each batch until the cheese is fully melted and incorporated into the soup. Repeat until all of the cheese is added. Let set for a few more minutes to be sure all the cheese is melted.
- Enjoy! Served best with some warm bread or salty crackers.