Chicken Pot Pie is a great $15 & Under Meal. This pie can feed the whole family and is an easy way to get all your vegetables in. The hardest part…waiting 15 minutes for it to cool!
Prep Time: 25 Minutes | Cook Time: 50 Minutes | Servings: 4
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil, divided
- 3 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1 package of chicken breasts (I used 1.30 pounds) cut into ½ inch cubes
- Seasoning for chicken: ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp black pepper, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp onion powder
- 16oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained (corn, carrots, peas, green beans)
- 1 package of refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts)
- ½ small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 can (10 ½ oz) can of cream of mushroom with roasted garlic
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 egg
Set pie crusts out of fridge so that they can come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a medium size saucepan heat 1 tbsp butter and 1tbsp EVOO over medium heat. Season the chicken with seasoning mixture. Add chicken to saucepan and cook through, about 7 minutes. Once chicken is finished cooking remove from pan and let cool.
In a medium size saucepan heat 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp EVOO over medium heat. Add onions and saute until fragrant and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the mixed vegetables, chicken, chicken broth and cream of mushroom. Stir to combine.
Now, time for the filling! Roll out one of your pie crusts to cover the pan. Next, pour or scoop your pie filling into the crust and smooth so it is even. Roll out the second pie crust over top of the filling. Trim any extra pie crust from the edges and press edges together with a fork so they are sealed tight. With your fork make a few holes in the middle of your crust so that your filling can breathe. In a small bowl beat one egg. Use a brush to coat the top pie crust with the egg so that it will have a glossy brown crust.
Place in the oven for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes remove from oven and wrap edges in foil so they do not burn. Return to oven and continue baking for another 20 minutes until the crust has lightly browned. Let cool for 15 minutes before enjoying!